- 1 (12 oz) panettone, cubed
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp orange liqueur
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 2 1⁄2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange liqueur
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1⁄8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- To make the bread pudding, place panettone bread cubes into a 2-qt buttered casserole dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until sugar is dissolved and mixture becomes light yellow in color.
- Mix in cream, vanilla, orange liqueur, salt, nutmeg, lemon zest and orange zest.
- Pour mixture over panettone. Cover and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Dot the top of the bread pudding with butter (cuts into bits), and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until it is fully set, and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean (1 to 1 1⁄4 hours).
- Remove and cool for at least 15 minutes. To make the sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in sugar, orange liqueur, water, nutmeg, and salt, until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat. In a small mixing bowl, whisk 1 egg while slowly pouring 2 Tbsp of the hot mixture into the bowl with the egg.
Then, slowly pour the warmed egg mixture back into the saucepan.
- Place the saucepan back over medium-low, stirring until the sauce almost reaches a simmer and thickens - 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spoon over the bread pudding and sere immediately.