- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 onions, sliced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 16 baguette slices
- 16 oz. Gruyère, grated
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and sauté the onions over medium high heat for about eight minutes or until they are lightly browned.
- Add broth, salt and pepper and boil gently for about 5-10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and toast in the oven.
- Place one or two slices of baguette in the bottom of each of four ovenproof crocks.
- Next add approximately 1/4 cup of grated cheese to each crock.
- Ladle the onion and stock mixture into the crocks.
- Repeat with another layer of baguette, cheese, and onion, then top with the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is beautifully browned.