This recipe is gluten free, vegan, and soy free. You can use walnuts instead of pecans, or leave the nuts out altogether. The longer you let your flax egg mixture “sit”, the fluffier the pancakes! Using freshly grated carrots will provide more moisture than a bag that is pre-shredded and by grating them fine, they will soften up faster.
Serves: 6 pancakes
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ginger
- 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed meal
- 2½ tbsp. water
- 2⁄3 cup flax milk (or other dairy-free milk of choice)
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and finely shredded
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- In a small saucepan heat water to boiling, cool slightly. Add 2½ tbsp. water to 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed meal to make a “flax egg.” Let set in refrigerator for 15 minutes to thicken.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flax milk and apple cider vinegar to make a vegan “buttermilk.” Set aside.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, & spices) in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine 1 tbsp. melted coconut oil, vanilla, and the “flax egg.” Stir vigorously so as not to let the coconut oil harden.
- Incorporate wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until no lumps remain.
- Add raisins, walnuts and carrots.
- Prepare a skillet coated with coconut oil on medium-heat. Use a ¼ cup measurement to transfer batter. Flip when bubbles begin to form. Cook for another minute or so.
- Then continue with ¼ cup measures until all remaining batter is gone.
- Top with chopped walnuts, vegan butter, and maple syrup.
- Other delicious toppings to try: crushed and drained pineapple, coconut shreds, applesauce, bananas, vegan whipped topping, or pecans.