- 1 deep dish frozen pie crust, do not thaw
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tsp. onion salt
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, preferable white
- ½ cup jalapeños, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup bell peppers, chopped
- cherry tomatoes, for garnish
- cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Transfer the frozen crust to your own pie plate.
- Peel and slice the onion 1⁄8 inch thick. I use a mandolin slicer to get them nice and thin.
- Cut most of the rings into halves or quarters, while leaving a few whole for topping the pie.
- Gently whisk the eggs to break them up, and whisk in the milk and cream. Season with onion salt and pepper.
- Spread the cheese out onto the frozen pie crust. Then fill with most of the onions, reserving a few rings for the top, along with bell peppers, and jalapeños, if desired.
- Pour the egg and cream mixture into the pie crust. It should just fill the top.
- Put the pie on a baking sheet (this makes it easier to transfer to the oven) and bake for 60 minutes.
- Garnish each slice with some cherry tomatoes and cilantro.