*Vegan mayonnaise (found in the produce department) can safely be left at room temperature for 24 hours, making it perfect for picnic dishes.
- 1 lb. broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise* (regular mayo is fine too)
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt, for boiling water and seasoning
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 5 oz. dried cherries
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add a generous amount of salt (like you were preparing pasta).
- While water is boiling, prepare a large mixing bowl with ice cold water.
- Add broccoli to boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Remove broccoli into the bowl of ice water (this is called ‘shocking’).
- Once broccoli has cooled, remove from ice water and let drain on paper towels.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, maple syrup, mustard, vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and salt (to taste).
- Add cooled and dried broccoli to the bowl of dressing. Toss together with sunflower seeds and cherries.
- Serve at room temp or chilled.