A refreshing winter salad that has a powerhouse of "FLAVOR"!
- 5 oz. arugula
- 2 cups torn sourdough bread
- ½ cup roasted walnuts
- 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 fennel bulb with fronds
- ¾ cup mint leaves
- 2 oz. parmesan, shaved
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds, for garnishing
- 1 navel orange, cut into segments
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place bread on a baking sheet. Drizzle bread with 3 tbsp. of oil. Toss and squeeze bread with your hands to help it absorb as much oil as possible, until it is evenly coated. Bake for 12-15 minutes until croutons are browned and very crisp.
- 2. Combine vinegar, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes for garlic to mellow and flavor the vinegar.
- 3. Whisk 3 tbsp. oil into the vinegar mixture, then add croutons and chopped roasted walnuts. Season crouton mixture with some salt and toss to coat; set aside.
- 4. R emove stalks and fronds from the fennel bulb. Cut fennel bulbs in half and thinly slice on a mandoline using a cut resistant glove.
- 5. Place arugula on a plate and top with fennel, top with half the crouton mixture & half the shaved parmesan.
- 6. Toss and top with the remaining parmesan,crouton mixture and garnish with the citrus, pomegranate seeds, and fennel fronds.