- 4 lbs Russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen kale, cleaned and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cup red cabbage, cleaned and chopped
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- Peel and cut potatoes into chunks. Place them in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and cover them with cold salted water.
- Bring to a boil and cook approximately. 15-20 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork. When potatoes are done, pour into a colander and drain.
- While potatoes are cooking, add olive oil to a skillet and warm. Then, add the cabbage and saute for about 5-7 minutes.
- Next, add the frozen kale and saute for 5-7 minutes more (if using fresh kale, add with red cabbage to start).
- Cook 10-15 minutes until tender, but not soft. Remove from heat. Put potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Add cream cheese and butter; begin to mash with mixer or potato masher.
- Add buttermilk, a bit at a time, until you get the texture and consistency you like.
- Add the cabbage and kale to the potatoes and stir until mixed evenly.
- Transfer to serving dish and top with pats, or melted butter.