Pair these waffles with plant-based breakfast sausages or a plant-based chick’n product to simulate chicken & waffles.
- 2 cups whole wheat or regular flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1½ cups unsweetened unflavored plant-based milk
- 1½ sticks plant-based butter, melted
- 2 ripe avocados, mashed well with fork
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 100% maple syrup, for topping
- additional plant-based butter, for topping
- additional chopped cilantro, for topping
- In a large bowl, whisk all dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients, including the avocados.
- Add chopped fresh cilantro to wet ingredients and combine well.
- Pour the mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. A few small lumps are fine.
- Preheat waffle iron; spray with non-stick spray, then fill three-quarters full with batter and cook until the waffles are golden and crisp.
- Serve warm and top with plant-based butter, more chopped cilantro, and 100% maple syrup.