- 2 lb. ground pork
- 1 lb. thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp. butter, softened, divided
- 4 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 4 fresh burger buns
- 8 slices of your favorite cheese
Chipotle Sorghum BBQ Sauce
- 1½ cups ketchup
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sorghum syrup
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. brown mustard
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Mix all BBQ Sauce ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, until desired thickness. Set aside.
- Prepare grill for direct and indirect cooking.
- In a skillet or on a griddle over medium-high heat, caramelize onions with 2 tbsp. butter; set aside
- Thoroughly mix ground pork, chopped bacon, 4 tbsp. butter, salt, smoked paprika and ½ cup of BBQ sauce. Form into 1⁄3 lb. burger patties.
- Liberally coat one side of each patty with coarse ground pepper.
- Indent each burger in the center (to catch grease) and place over indirect heat and let cook almost all the way through before flipping. Watch for flare-ups! Once burgers are flipped, top each with two slices of cheese and let melt. Note: Burgers should reach internal temp of 165°F.
- Don’t forget to toast your buns!
- Place caramelized onions on to your toasted bottom bun. Lay a cheeseburger over onions, smother in BBQ Sauce, and top with the other half of the bun.