This recipe is gluten free, vegan, and soy free. This dish makes a great DIY bar! Lay out each ingredient and let guests build their own taco fish bowls!
Serves: 4 people
- 4 mahi-mahi frozen fillets
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water or broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans
- 1 cup lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped (to taste)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup baby tomatoes
- 1 lime, quartered
- tortilla chips
- pink salt to taste
- In a small saucepan heat water to boiling, cool slightly. Add 2½ tbsp. water to 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed meal to make a “flax egg.” Let set in refrigerator for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Thaw frozen fish fillets (out of the original packaging) overnight in refrigerator or under cool water.
- Add olive oil to coat a skillet on low-medium heat. Sauté fish until flaky, turning over to both sides.
- Bring 1 cup dry quinoa and 2 cups water or broth to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook about 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Heat black beans on stovetop until warm.
- Chop lettuce, red cabbage and cilantro then place in separate bowls.
- Slice avocados in half, then using a knife slice horizontally in rows and scoop out with a spoon. Cut lime in 4 parts. Half baby tomatoes.
- Slice fish fillets and place fish, quinoa, and black beans and all other ingredients into separate bowls.
- Layer quinoa, fish and desired toppings. Serve with tortilla chips, a dash of pink salt, and a hint of lime juice.