Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 1 hour | Serves: 8
- 1 8 – 10 inch round loaf Italian bread
- 1 cup mixed pitted olives from Ingles olive bar, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup pickled vegetables, such as giardiniera, chopped
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ lb. salami, deli sliced
- ½ lb. provolone, deli sliced
- ½ lb. capicola, deli sliced
- ½ lb. smoked mozzarella, deli sliced
- ½ lb. mortadella, deli sliced
- 1. Divide the bread lengthwise. Scoop out some of the interior to add more room for the ingredients. You can reserve the bread for another use.
- 2. Combine the olives, oil, pickled vegetables, red peppers, parsley, vinegar, garlic and the Italian Seasoning in a bowl. Stir until mixed.
- 3. Spread half of the olive tapenade on the bottom half of the bread.
- 4. Layer the salami, provolone, capicola, mozzarella, and mortadella on the bottom of the bread.
- 5. Top with the other half of the olive tapenade and the other half of the bread.
- 6. Wrap the entire loaf in plastic wrap.
- 7. Place cast iron pan on top of the wrapped sandwich and set aside to rest for 1 hour.
- 8. After resting, cut the sandwich in to 8 even triangles.
- **Tip: You can use the bread you scooped