- 3 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 1½ yellow onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef (or ground venison)
- 2¼ cups tomato sauce
- 6 cups Laura Lynn frozen vegetable blend (32 oz. bag)
- 1 cup Highland Gaelic Ale (or your favorite dark beer)
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. pepper
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2¼ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the potatoes. Let heat while cooking the meat mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook the onion until translucent, then add garlic and ground meat. Cook until browned, then drain off grease.
- Add tomato sauce and vegetable blend and cook over medium heat 4-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add Gaelic Ale, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Boil until liquid has reduced by half and thickened (about 15 minutes).
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook for 15-20 minutes until soft, but not mushy. Drain and cool. Mash potatoes with the butter and milk then salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the smoker (or oven) to 350°F.
- Once meat mixture is done and potatoes are mashed, divide meat between two casserole dishes then top with mashed potatoes then shredded cheese.
- Bake until golden brown and cheese is melted (30-45 minutes).