- 2 Cups Heavy cream
- 6 Egg yolks
- 1/2 Cup Granulated sugar
- 1 Teaspoon (or to taste) Vanilla extract
- Pinch Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar (for crust)
- Fresh berries
- Place heavy cream in heavy bottomed pan and heat to the almost boiling, or scalding point (smoking).
- Mix gently egg yolks and sugar (1/2 cup) until they are combined.
- Slowly pour in a bit of the hot cream to create a liaison and temper the eggs.
- Add the remaining cream slowly stirring.
- Add your vanilla and the pinch of salt and then strain in a fine mesh sieve. Pour the custard into four ramekins and be sure to fill them up all the way!
- Place ramekins in a shallow pan with a towel on the bottom and add hot water to reach halfway up the sides. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the custards are set strong.
- Remove from the water and towel bath and let them cool slightly to the temperature in the room and then refrigerate until cold and chilled.
- For the presentation, sift or sprinkle just enough of the sugar (for crust) on top of the custard to cover. Caramelize the sugar using a torch or placing under the broiler.
Serve plain or garnish with berries, a swizzle of fruit syrup and sprig of mint.