This recipe is perfect for a sous vide cooker as well. Follow the same method, setting the temperature to 162°F and cooking for 90 minutes.
- 1 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips (or 7 oz. bittersweet chocolate bars, broken into pieces)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, at room-temperature
- 7 egg yolks, at room-temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. butter, softened
- Set your oven to 325°F. Place ramekins on top of a rack inside your roasting pan. Fill each ramekin with water to just below the lip. Now, add water to the roasting pan until it’s ¼ inch to ½ inch from the top of the ramekins. Next, remove the ramekins from the roasting pan, empty each of the water, dry well, and butter the insides.
- Using a double boiler on medium, add heavy whipping cream and chocolate chips to the top pot. While the mixture is warming up (about 5 minutes), start the next step.
- Separate egg yolks (reserve whites for another use) and add them to a large mixing bowl. With a whisk, or mixer on very low, mix the yolks, sugar, and salt. Continue to blend for 2 minutes. Try not to create bubbles in the mixture.
- Continue stirring cream and chocolate chip mixture, making sure all the chips have melted and incorporated into the cream (about 15 minutes). When finished, transfer the chocolate cream mixture to a 4-cup measuring cup (or use a 2-cup size twice). Very slowly, pour the warm chocolate cream mixture into the bowl of egg yolks and sugar, letting it glide very slowly, to the mixing bowl with egg yolks and sugar mixture. Hint: Letting the warm chocolate cream glide down the side of the bowl, instead of directly into the egg mixture, while whisking or mixing or very gently, will prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- After the two mixtures are well combined, strain it through a sieve back into the measuring cup. This step will make it easier to pour into the ramekins. Fill the ramekins, add the lids (don’t use plastic lids) or foil, and gently lower each into the roasting pan. Avoid splashing any water into the ramekins.
- Cook for about an hour. Remove each ramekin from the water bath and take off the lids or foil. Let sit on the countertop for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Serve with whipped cream, berries, or shaved chocolate.