A fresh vibrant salad that awakens the flavors of spring.
- 3 med. garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1½ tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1¼ extra virgin olive oil (plus 2 tbsp.)
- 20+ young organic carrots, similarly sized and unpeeled with ½ inch of the green tops left on
- 2 oranges, cut into wedges
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced into wedges
- 3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. orange juice
- ½ cup fresh cilantro sprigs
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp. paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Chop garlic and put into a mixing bowl. Add the cumin, salt, coriander, red pepper flakes, and¼ cup of the olive oil and stir well, then add the carrots and toss well so they're coated with the oil and spices.
- Put the carrots in a large shallow baking dish in one layer. Scrape out the extra garlic, spices, and oil from the bowl and spread evenly on top of the carrots.
- Pour ¼ cup water into an empty spot in the casserole and tilt the dish so the water will spread evenly across the bottom.
- Place into the oven and cook for 1 hour or until the carrots are lightly browned and tender. Take out and let cool.
- Take the avocados from the fridge and halve them lengthwise into wedges.
- Mix the avocados with lemon juice, orange juice and the remaining 2 tbsp. olive oil.
- Arrange the carrots on the platter along with the avocado slices and orange wedges.
- Top with cilantro and smoked paprika and serve right away