- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- ½ tbsp. garlic, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, diced
- ½ cup beef broth
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. Cajun seasoning of your choice
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. Louisiana style red hot sauce
- 1½ tbsp. Creole or spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1½ lb. ground beef (or venison)
- ½ lb. ground pork (not pork sausage)
- ½ lb. of andouille sausage, diced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs, plain
For The Glaze
- 1 cup ketchup
- 4 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. Louisiana style hot sauce
- 1½ tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Creole style mustard or spicy brown mustard
- Pre-heat smoker to 165°F.
- Line baking sheet with foil and spray a wire cooling rack with non-stick cooking spray. Place the wire rack on the baking sheet.
- In large skillet, sauté the onion, celery, red bell pepper, green onion, garlic, and jalapeños in the vegetable oil until the vegetables soften and become translucent, approx. 6 minutes.
- Add the beef broth, ketchup, Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, mustard and pepper. Stir to combine. Remove the mixture from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, pork and sausage. Add egg, breadcrumbs and the cooled mixture and mix lightly with your hands until well combined.
- Form a rectangular loaf 11/2-2 inches thick and then lay on top of cooling rack.
- Place the pan with meatloaf on the smoker for one hour at 165°F and then increase temperature to 325°F and cook for another hour.
- Make the glaze by combining ketchup, brown sugar, hot sauce, white vinegar, and mustard in a small saucepan and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- At the two-hour mark, pour or brush the glaze on top of the meatloaf and continue to cook until internal temperature at thickest point is 165°F.
- Remove and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving!
Sometimes I make weatloaf just so I can enjoy a meatloaf sandwich the next day!