Nothing is better, in my opinion, than roasted or smoked salmon with eggs! The perfect combination in my house … Salmon Parmesan Quiche!
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cold cold water
- 8 whole eggs
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 (8-12 oz.) salmon filets, seasoned and roasted
- 1 tbsp. capers
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- ½ cup cheese (mozzarella, Monterey Jack or gruyere), shredded
- ¾-1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- In a food processor fitted with a bread blade, combine the all-purpose flour, shortening, salt and preferred herbs and spices. Pulse until the mixture resembles grated cheese.
- With processor running, add cold water until the dough collects and forms a ball.
- Dump the dough onto a floured surface and roll into a 12 inch circle. Fit the dough into the greased cake pan, lined with parchment paper, so the dough comes up over the edge. Fold the upper crust in and crimp to design. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, white pepper and nutmeg until frothy. Add the heavy cream, blending until smooth.
- Cover the bottom of the crust with a small amount of the custard mixture.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of the selected cheese atop the custard, followed by the crumbled salmon. Sprinkle the capers and red onions over the salmon in the pie shell. Top again with Parmesan cheese, covering the fillings.
- Carefully ladle the remaining custard over the fillings until covered. Place quiche on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for one hour, minimum, checking to ensure the crust does not burn and the custard is golden brown and puffy. Allow to rest for thirty minutes before slicing. Re-warm in the microwave oven, if necessary.